The Month That Was

July 2020 Reflections

Happy August everyone! It’s the final month of winter and already I’m noticing the sun sets just that wee bit later which is a nice feeling. Before getting into the new month, I always like to look back at the month that was. July seemed a bit like March or April where it dragged on and on and on. I cannot wait for the shitstorm that is currently happening worldwide to be over and done with. I’m exhausted with it all. Anyway, I’ll go easy on the whinging and instead, recap July.

What I wrote in July 2020

I wrote some poetry and flash fiction on the blog but also wrote a lot more poetry off the blog. It’s been an emotionally heavy month for me personally and I found writing just for myself quite helpful. I shared a couple of poems here – Ephemeral and Being Human. My flash fiction was for YeahWrite’s monthly microprose challenge and was in the top three which was pretty cool.

What I read in July 2020

July was a good reading month! I had decided at the start of the month to focus on First Nations authors because July is usually when we celebrate NAIDOC week {it’s been postponed to November this year due to COVID}. I read a whopping 11 books – 10 by First Nations authors and 1 by an Australian author. I haven’t had a chance to review them all on Instagram but this is a summary of it all from my Instagram post:

View this post on Instagram

My July wrap-up. I read 11 books this month; one of them has been lent to a friend & not pictured as a result. I haven’t reviewed them all yet but I’m so glad I read them. 10 out of the 11 were by First Nations authors. . . ?????: Lemons in the chicken wire by Alison Whittaker Ruby Moonlight by Ali Cobby Eckerman Skin Painting by Elizabeth Hodgson . . ????.5: My Father’s Shadow by Jannali Jones . . ????: The Yield by Tara June Winch A Lonely girl is a dangerous thing by Jessie Tu Ghost Bird by Lisa Fuller The Wounded Sinner by Gus Henderson Brontide by Sue McPherson . . ???: Swallow the air by Tara June Winch Becoming Kirrali Lewis by Jane Harrison . . Detailed reviews of some of these reads are yet to come. Stay tuned. How was your reading in July? . . . . . #books #bookstagram #bookstagrammer #bookstagramaustralia #firstnationsauthors #australianauthors #aussieauthors #indigenousauthors #blackauthors #blackauthorsmatter #julywrapup #amreading #2020reads #bibliophile #fiction #poetry #diversebooks #diversereads #bookaholic #bookstack #booksandplants #booklover #auslit #naidoc2020 #alwayswasalwayswillbe

A post shared by Sanch (@sanchwrites) on

On the blog in July 2020

The blog was a bit quiet this month due to a lot of things. I didn’t even write one of my weekly gratitude posts. I did, however, write the poems previously mentioned, the flash fiction, and an essay on styling myself happy. Let’s see how things go this month on the blogging front.

Health in July 2020

July was a weird month for health. While on the one hand, physically it was generally good because I went to the gym 26 times this month plus walked or did some kind of activity the other 5 days, I also found out last week I have moderately deficient Vitamin D and slightly low iron levels too. It explains the exhaustion I’ve been feeling this month – I’d been going to bed at 7 or 8 on some nights and sleeping through till 5. My mental health has been a bit fucked though this month. It’s possible some of the physical health stuff is contributing to it, but also the uncertainty about things, the negativity in the world, people just being mean to one another, the fear of gyms shutting down again – have all contributed to a bleak outlook for me. Plus add to that, exhaustion from work responsibilities and not having seen my team since March.

Life in July 2020

Life eh? What even is that? July was quite rough, to be honest. I did do some enjoyable things including going to the gym, celebrating Sammy’s birthday with drinks and dinner, catching up with a friend for lunch and a walk and first book club in person post-lockdown but that was as social as I got. I attended a couple of online author events but I really miss the in-person ones. I think the social withdrawal definitely impacted my mood – I am a social person and I need social contact to get energised. My friends and I wanted to have a weekend getaway but the rise in cases in NSW and one of the south coast communities had me freaked out a bit and we didn’t end up going. Basically, life was just gym, working from home, read and sleep for the most part. And it took its toll on me. I am hoping to make more of an effort to be social in August and to get out more because I know it’s good for me. On a more positive side, I’ve been given some more responsibilities at work – it’s daunting and exciting all at once.

Highlight of July 2020

The support of friends when I {finally!} reached out for help. I feel so grateful for having them check in on me and look out for me even though it took me a while to open up.

Lowlight of July 2020

My mood and the second wave. I really feel for my Victorian friends at the moment but I also fear NSW might not be far.

Lessons from July 2020

You don’t always have to be strong and it’s okay to ask for help when you need it. Honestly, I need this reminder all the fucking time. Because I forget it every time and I really, really, really struggle to ask for help. But when you do ask for help, it can be life-changing.

So yeah, July was a weird month. One where I kind of hit rock bottom but also one which showed me that maybe the world isn’t all bad and I’ve got some amazing people in my corner!

How was July for you?

How are you going riding this Coronacoaster?

Do share!

***Linking with Denyse for Life this week and Vidya for her monthly Gratitude Circle***

Featured image by Rakicevic Nenad from Pexels

• Lydia C. Lee
    3 August 2020 at 5:52 pm

It’s really hard to know what the right thing to do is. We are meant to go away at the end of August but I suspect that might cancel. Every week a few plans cancel while we decide numbers are too high. It’s hard to know what the right thing to do is. You are an efficient reader! 11 in a month! And good for you on reaching out when you needed a lift. it’s hard to do but so important! Hang in there (I was told not to say that on twitter yet here I am saying it again! Opps!)

• Debbie Harris
    3 August 2020 at 9:12 pm

Yes July was a bit weird as was June and the months before! I agree we need a re minder to ask for help, especially now. I also feel for family and friends in Melbourne, kit’s just awful and I’m worried about NSW too. Take care and keep in touch with your feelings, you do it well.#lifethisweek
    Debbie Harris recently posted…If 2020 was a food, what would it be?My Profile

• Natalie
    3 August 2020 at 10:21 pm

Sanch, I’m glad you reached out to your friends, and they’ve got your back. You’ve done really well with your writing and reading. I hope you get the vitamins and iron your body needs. Take care and have a good week! #lifethisweek
    Natalie recently posted…Summer Week 6: July SmilesMy Profile

• Sammie @ The Annoyed Thyroid
    4 August 2020 at 6:58 am

It was definitely a productive month in the reading department – go you! Sorry to hear you’ve been feeling under par but hope that now the lack of Vitamin D and iron is being addressed you’ll start to feel like an Energiser bunny again! It’s funny how people think that reaching out and asking for help is a sign of weakness but really it’s a sign of strength. As always, you know that we’re here for you. I feel heartbroken for Melbourne and the uncertainty in NSW is so unnerving but I guess we all just have to do our bit. Together we can make a difference 🙂

• Suger
    4 August 2020 at 11:42 am

Just oppoed over and followed you on Instagram, I don’t want to miss any of the book updates because these titles look great. Now to work my way through the post (I’ve saved it) and pick up some new books to read.
    Suger recently posted…Comment on Favourites: WordPress Themes for Bloggers by Melissa Walker HornMy Profile

• Vanessa
    5 August 2020 at 11:23 am

I remember walking home from school in the UK as a kid and it was dark – not sure how I’d cope with that as an adult and with hindsight. Have also struggled in the past with vit d and iron – I know people see it as “just a deficiency” but damn it those ones are HARD. They really do impact you.
    Vanessa recently posted…Why I Like Losing FollowersMy Profile

• Shalzmojo
    5 August 2020 at 6:52 pm

Wow your reading list has me in awe- the number and the sheer variety is what you have been reading is just amazing. I love your book choices and have bought/gifted from there and been very pleased with the results.

You are more social that us in India- believe me I went for a walk after 3 weeks and it felt like I was let out into the wilderness. The city seems to be teeming with vehicles so maybe life is getting back to normal here but I am still being extra cautious and careful while stepping out and that too for the very essential services only.

While you are rejoicing end of winters, we are struggling with dead beat humidity out here- I swear I am sitting in a sauna right now 😉

I am glad to see a post from you in ages as you havent been very active on the blog. I hope things start feeling better to you soonest. The Vitamin D is a killer when it comes to exhaustion and so do get on that right away.

Here;s wishing you a beautiful and happy august ahead Sanchie!! XOXO
    Shalzmojo recently posted…Every situation has an expiry date | Gratitude |My Profile

• Soumya
    6 August 2020 at 5:40 pm

I so love your ‘Style Myself happy’ series. Your fit bod looks kickass in everything and I love the explosion of colors as I love wearing colors too!

Take care of yourself, Sanch. The second wave does sound scary and I just hope all this ends soon. Your reading is amazing and the books you have read is something else altogether. Take care of your mental health, Sanch. In these times, we need it the most. Always reach out. I’m here if you want to vent or just say Hello sometime 🙂

Love!
    Soumya recently posted…Action Replay + Gratitude List: July 2020My Profile

• Denyse
    6 August 2020 at 7:02 pm

I am glad you shared with honesty because each of us has the ability to know how to help another..and we never know when it’s time for you. I hear you so much on the ‘can’t do’. We had hoped, post this surgery, to take a few days and visit the northwest, Tamworth where we met. No, cancelled that and now even a day trip to Newcastle is off the cards. Sigh. Anyway, I am getting better and by end of next week should be driving again. B has been very kind and caring but I also need to get out to explore again. In a minor way. You did so well reading that many books. Having lived and worked in many Indigenous communities I know how some people’s lives were/are affected but now more people are reaching out to share. A good thing. Thank you for linking up for #lifethisweek #200. Next week, the optional prompt is 32/51 Why Did I? 10.8.2020. I look forward to seeing you then too. Denyse.
    Denyse recently posted…Women of Courage Series. #50. Anon. 63/2020.My Profile

• Parul Thakur
    14 August 2020 at 6:39 pm

My July was similar on how I felt anxious and worried all the time. I am not writing as much as I would want. Other than the house piece that came through, July was hard.
    So cool on books for you. 11 is amazing. Keep at it and I know what you mean on physical health and mental health linked up. I am happy that you are able to go to gym. Keep at it. For us, work from home will continue and I am working out at home.
    Hope your August has started on a good note. Take care, Sanch! XO