The Month That Was

January 2020 Reflections

january 2020

We’re down one month in 2020 already. I know for most people, January tends to be a blur. Weirdly for me, this year, it felt like the longest month and also, the quickest. Maybe because it felt like there were lots of highs and lows in the 31 days. Even though people joke about starting the year in February, I do like January because it is my birthday month and it does set the tone for the year ahead with intentions and plans. Here’s a bit of my reflections on the month that was January 2020.

What I wrote in January 2020

I struggled a lot with writing in January. I don’t know whether it was due to being busy, being a bit blah because of the fires and the weather or even because I was learning a new job, but no matter how hard I tried most weeks, I just couldn’t write. It was only in the past week I finally managed to pen two poems – both about not being able to write. They weren’t my best works, that’s for sure but I was just glad I was able to create something! In case you missed it, I wrote Elusive Words and This is just to say. I’m hoping this has broken the barrier but I can’t be certain just yet.

What I read in January 2020

I read 6 books in January and I’m in the middle of a couple more. I read One of us is lying by Karen McManus, Mateship with Birds by Carrie Tiffany, Cilka’s Journey by Heather Morris, Ketchup Clouds by Annabel Pilcher, Where the trees were by Inga Simpson and The Little Wave by Pip Harry. Apart from Cilka’s Journey and Mateship with Birds, the rest were four-star reads for me. You can continue to follow my reviews on Instagram as well.

On the blog in January 2020

Due to the writing drought, I didn’t blog as much as I would’ve liked. I wrote a post welcoming 2020 and setting my intention for the year. There were my usual gratitude posts on Sundays and the two poems I mentioned before. I’m hoping to rectify it this month.

Health in January 2020

My physical health in January was hit and miss. I struggled with tonsilitis yet again and had a stint with antibiotics. Apart from that though, I was able to exercise consistently which was a good thing, especially for my emotional wellbeing. My mental health has been ok but I have been anxious and stressed about a few things. Imposter syndrome in my job is just one of those. But, I’m trying to plod along and manage it as much as I can.

Life in January 2020

Life has been a rollercoaster in January. Lots of ups and downs. I’ve had some great times catching up with friends both here and on the coast, celebrating my birthday, exploring newer pubs and bars, meeting new people through my new book club and STFU reading society, going away to the South Coast for a night, going to Newcastle for work for a couple of days, enjoying some live music and being in nature, spending some time at the beach or by the water. Apart from that though, there have been moments of loneliness, of wondering about life, of questioning a whole lot of things, of hating the humidity and worrying about the fires. It’s been a mixed bag of a month and I get that’s what life is, but I wish sometimes the anxiety and the overthinking would give me a break.

Highlight of January 2020

My birthday week – the love I received from friends, family and colleagues was extremely special and made me feel very, very grateful for all the people in my life.

Lowlight of January 2020

My anxiety and overthinking. ‘Nuff said.

Lessons from January 2020

I think a lot of January was either spent in my head worrying or keeping busy. I realise I need time to ground myself, to figure out my shit and take a moment and breathe. That said, I do have some awesome people in my life and for that, I am truly grateful.

How was January for you? Do you believe your year officially begins this month?

Do share!

***Linking with Denyse for Life this week and Vidya was her monthly gratitude circle***

• Vanessa
    2 February 2020 at 3:02 pm

I try not to make decisions in Jan or Feb because I know the unrelenting humidity has melted my brain and I make bad decisions. But also I want to be giving myself space as I adjust to a (kinda) new job.
    Vanessa recently posted…Book Review: Life Undercover: Coming of Age in the CIA by Amaryllis FoxMy Profile

• Sanch @ Sanch Writes
      2 February 2020 at 3:07 pm

We haven’t had humidity as bad as this down this way before – I wonder whether that’s partly why I’m feeling so off. But as you said, starting a new job can also be overwhelming in a way and giving time and space is important.

• Deborah
    3 February 2020 at 1:09 pm

I can completely relate to your lowlight Sanch. I’m sure you know I spend way too much time in my head as well and overthink and overanalyse everything. Past, present and future. Well probably just the former and latter cos guess the present is so fleeting it’s impossible to ponder.

My time on social media has been very one-way-ish of late and I’ve not engaged as much as usual and guess it’s how I deal with stress, depression and anxiety.

I love (and appreciate) that you’re honest about it. I feel I make light of my anxiety and depression and only reference it jokingly without ever really being up-front or completely open.

Of course there’s been a lot of crap happening, with the fires here in Oz and politics around the world. It’s hard to find the joy sometimes.

It’s great you’ve been exercising again and that’s next on the agenda for me.

Take care xx
    Deborah recently posted…Grumble-bumMy Profile

• Vidya Sury
    4 February 2020 at 12:03 am

Hugs, Sanch. Happy birthday again! Reading six books in a month is no mean feat!
    So sorry to read the news about the fires. Heart-breaking. And scary.
    Get well soon from the tonsils. Antibiotics can weaken the body, even though they’re sometimes unavoidable. Take good care of yourself. Don’t stress over the not writing. Sometimes, I’ve found that freaking out blocks the flow.
    January does bring a feeling of “new year” but seriously, I think every day is a new day, considering that much of the routine is almost constant. I wish you a wonderful Feb! Thank you for being part of the Gratitude Circle. Sending you loving vibes.

• Jennifer Jones
    4 February 2020 at 1:00 am

Sanch I Hope getting these words out of your head and published helps. I think Jorge fires have caused many people to feel anxious. It’s been worrying times. I’ve followed you on Instagram from Best Bookish Blogs account, my other blog #lifethisweek Sharing
    Jennifer Jones recently posted…Say Hello To My GrandchildrenMy Profile

• Joanne Tracey
    4 February 2020 at 9:24 am

I admire your honesty in regards to your ups and downs. You’ve had a lot happening of late and I know that you know that means being a tad easier on yourself. Here’s to a February with no blank pages…
    Joanne Tracey recently posted…January – all wrapped upMy Profile

• Debbie Harris
    4 February 2020 at 12:05 pm

I totally get it Sanch and I’m with you – starting the year again in February is a great idea and our town actually did that! We had aNYE party on 31 January. I hope things settle in February for you with all that you’ve had going on it’s not surprising that you’ve felt a bit anxious at times. Take care 🙂 #lifethisweek
    Debbie Harris recently posted…Coming out of the shadows – Sunday StillsMy Profile

• Sammie @ The Annoyed Thyroid
    4 February 2020 at 8:32 pm

I think with all the stuff going down across Australia, January has really messed with my head and maybe yours too!L Like you though, there have been some really good parts and I guess that’s life, a month may not be good but there’s good things in every month! Look forward to catching up for belated birthday bonhomie when I’m back.

• Denyse
    5 February 2020 at 7:42 pm

January sucked big time..except for the day I saw you and we had a quick hug AND it was your birthday along with 3 in my family. The constant EDGE of January was what I disliked the most. It was like everyone was in a hyper alert state and that does not feel good AT ALL. Brings all the nasties back into our minds. The change to cooler weather just now did much for my mood. I usually wish February to be over but maybe Jan was the one this time round.
    Thank you for linking up for Life This Week #174. Next week’s optional prompt is 6/51 Interesting 10.2.2020. Hope to see you again there too. Denyse.
    Denyse recently posted…Women of Courage Series. #26. Maureen Jansen.10/2020.My Profile

• Suger
    6 February 2020 at 10:05 am

I’ve been finding it hard to find the words recently too. I’ve been looking at the page and there’s nothing I want to say. At this point, I figure that I’ve just got a lot on and it’s using up my word count. It’ll come back. I hope it does for you too! And as always, thank you for the book recommendations, so appreciated.

• Parul Thakur
    6 February 2020 at 5:14 pm

I am also struggling to write and share what i am feeling. I don’t want to find excuses but that’s what I am doing. So good you read these books and also celebrated your birthday with friends. On imposter syndrome, I m worried if my weaknesses will show up and I will lose face. Gosh! That worries me all the time.
    I hope you find calm and quieten your mind from the things it is thinking. I started January well and February for me is the second month of the year, 😉
    Have a great month ahead, Sanch!
    Parul Thakur recently posted…A fisherman in actionMy Profile