The Month That Was

October 2019 Reflections

october 2019 reflections

Welcome to November, dear readers! It’s the month of NaNoWriMo, NaBloPoMo or just the crazy month before Christmas and holidays and all that. As I write this, I’m on medication for tonsilitis and filled with overwhelm with all the things that need to get done. But it’s time to look back at the month that was October.

What I wrote in October 2019

I didn’t write much in October as my mind was focussed on job applications and client notes. Plus, I have been trying to think about an idea for NaNoWriMo. The only writing in October was a piece of flash fiction on the blog which was originally written for YeahWrite’s Microprose challenge but didn’t meet the cut because I broke the rules.

What I read in October 2019

I didn’t read as many books as I did the last month but managed to finish 4 books in October. I also completed Erin’s book challenge this month. The books I read included Wundersmith: The Calling of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend, The Flatshare by Beth O’Leary, Shouting at the Rain by Lynda Mullaly Hunt, and You beneath your skin by Damyanti Biswas. I highly recommend The Flatshare as it was a sweet yet, important read.

On the blog in October 2019

It was pretty quiet on the blog this past month. I wrote a piece of nonfiction on my memories with mangoes and micropose, as well as my weekly gratitude posts. Apart from that, I did catch up on some book reviews for books I’d read ages ago. You can find my reviews for The memories we hide by Jodi Gibson, The Rip by Mark Brandi, The World was whole by Fiona Wright, and How to make friends with the dark by Kathleen Glasgow.

Health in October 2019

As I said at the start of this post, I am writing this while on medication for tonsilitis. That should give you an indication of my physical health this month. Yeah, it’s been a bit shit. My sinuses have played up a lot, I’ve had sore throats and now, tonsilitis. To top it all, my gymming has been very inconsistent. I had some lovely blogger friends I was holding myself accountable to but that lasted a week. The lack of my consistent exercise regime has definitely been affecting my mental health in a whole bunch of ways but I’m hoping once my physical health is ok, I can get back on the wagon.

Life in October 2019

Despite the health issues, life has actually been pretty good in October. Work has been a bit blah and crappy but the good news is I found a job and have resigned from my current one. I start the new job in December and it’s in Sydney which basically means November is going to be all about winding up, packing and moving. This is both exciting and overwhelming. Apart from that, October has been filled with catch up with friends, seeing one of my favourite authors, Favel Parrett, going to a gig, going on a couple of hikes, spending some time at the beach and watching Netflix while recovering from being sick often.

Highlight of October 2019

Getting the news of a job offer in Sydney for a brand new challenge.

Lowlight of October 2019

My health and lack of exercise. ‘Nuff said.

Lessons from October 2019

It’s still a work in progress but I think I’m learning I need to listen to my body and not be too hard on myself. I also learnt my lack of motivation to exercise stems from a change in my mindset about exercise. More on that in another post but it hit me hard.

I’m hoping despite the craziness of November, it’ll be an okay month. I plan to do NaNoWriMo with not much prep and I have to find a place to live in Sydney. I’m anxious about not finding a place in time, having to move the cats {which will be traumatic for them again!} and making sure I’m financially still secure. It’s all quite scary but as some friends have said to me, you just have to take the leap and also, what’s the worst that could happen? I’ve done scary things before, have been brave and sometimes things work out, sometimes they don’t. And it’s still okay.

How was your October?

Are you planning on doing NaNoWriMo/NaBloPoMo for November?

Do share!

***Linking with Vidya for her monthly Gratitude Circle, Jo, Min and others for the Lovin’ Life Linky and Kirsten for What’s New with You***

Featured image by James Wheeler from Pexels

• Vanessa
    1 November 2019 at 8:28 am

It’s a lot but it also sounds like exactly what you’ve been wanting! You got what you needed out of your move, now it’s onwards & upwards.
    And you know I empathise with the tonsils. They’re evil!

• Sanch @ Sanch Writes
      1 November 2019 at 9:24 am

Yeah I’m quite excited despite the anxiety. And I don’t regret the move up here at all. Good luck with NaNoWriMo!

• Joanne Tracey
    1 November 2019 at 9:22 am

I’ll be doing nanowrimo but for the first time in years haven’t done any pre-blogging about it & no clear direction. I’ll be seeing which way the story takes me I suspect. I hear what you say about mindset. I’m hitting my health goals at the moment but am also teetering on the edge of both obsession & surrender so it’s a constant battle. As long as I do the same thing every day I’m okay, but the minute my routine is upset I’m off the wagon. It’s such a fine line to balance.
    Joanne Tracey recently posted…October – All Wrapped UpMy Profile

• Sanch @ Sanch Writes
      1 November 2019 at 9:27 am

Ooh good luck with NaNoWriMo! I think re health and exercise, routine definitely helps because it becomes a habit and we are more likely to keep doing it.

• Kaddu
    1 November 2019 at 9:28 pm

Ohhh! I just got rid of throat infection too! Had it twice last month. Hopefully, it’s gone for good this time. But yes, kinda like you, October was a productive month in some ways. I attended a 6-day long NLP workshop, which was amazing. Hoping to be regular in blogging once again from November onwards. Daily won’t be possible with my store, so trying for alternate days. Wish me luck! 😀
    Kaddu recently posted…Soft And Creamy Scrambled Eggs Recipe | How To Make The Creamiest Scrambled Eggs With MilkMy Profile

• Shilpa Garg
    1 November 2019 at 10:42 pm

Congratulations for your new job, Sanch. All the best for your new innings in Sydney. Hope feel better soon.
    Good luck for NaNoWriMo too.
    I have fractured my ankle bone last month, so am on a 5 weeks bed rest. While I am busy reading, writing and working on my laptop from morn till night, but this limited mobility is pretty annoying. Guess, have to bide this time! 😀

• Reema D'souza
    1 November 2019 at 11:56 pm

Congratulations on the new job. And take care of your health. October was not a great month for me as illness and too much work made me cry. Thankfully mom was with me for a week and that made things a little better. Hope you have a lovely November. All the best for NaNoWriMo.
    Reema D’souza recently posted…Can I hit reset? #WordsMatterMy Profile

• Damyanti Biswas (@damyantiwrites)
    2 November 2019 at 2:59 am

Good Luck with NaNoWriMo
    Damyanti Biswas (@damyantiwrites) recently posted…When is a Writer a Writer?My Profile

• Leanne @ Deep Fried Fruit
    7 November 2019 at 6:44 am

I love your October lessons. That’s a great habit to get into – reminding ourselves what we’ve learned. I’ll have to add that to my bag of tricks.

• Anthea
    7 November 2019 at 10:23 pm

Good luck with your new job and move! What an exciting end to 2019!
    Sorry your health hasn’t been great. Sore throats are the worst, can imagine how awful tonsillitis is. Hope you feel better soon.
    Anthea recently posted…October recap – what is new with you?My Profile

• Confuzzled Bev
    8 November 2019 at 12:15 am

I hope you feel better soon.

I loved Wundersmith! Can’t wait for book 3.

• SMD
    8 November 2019 at 1:23 am

I don’t have an idea for NaNoWriMo but I might just start somewhere and see what happens.

Is it a far move? Congratulations on your new job!

• kristen
    9 November 2019 at 10:01 am

i loved the flatshare! did you like wundersmith?