Feminism Fodder Humour

If sharks were treated like rapists

I’ve been hearing a lot about sharks on the news lately. Bondi beach was closed for a couple of days last week due to shark sightings. Since then, there have been expert opinions with researchers and professors about how best to manage these sharks. I heard on the radio about sonar waves and other tracking mechanisms to detect sharks before they can attack the poor surfers or fishermen.

It made me wonder though, that the sharks in Australia are probably wishing they were rapists {or violent perpetrators} right now.

Hear me out. I’m going somewhere with this.

If sharks were treated like rapists, this is how the shark attacks would unfold:

• Why did the surfer go out that deep? Didn’t he know it was dangerous to be surfing at that time of the day?
  • Why were the surfers wearing a black wetsuit? Didn’t they realise just how enticing they are to sharks when they look like seals?
  • Why were the swimmers drinking before they jumped into shark-infested waters? Don’t they realise it’s harder to swim?
  • I’m sure the surfer encouraged the shark in some way.
  • The surfer must have given the shark the wrong idea that they were interested in him and not just there for surfing…no way would the shark have bitten him if he was just surfing.
  • The surfer punched the shark and the shark lost control. Can you blame him?
  • Why didn’t the surfer just leave after he was bitten twice by the shark?
  • The surfer should have known better than to befriend a shark he didn’t know.
  • Why was the surfer by himself? He should have had someone with him. It’s dangerous in these waters at this time of the day.
  • The government would spend money in spreading awareness about shark-infested waters.
  • The shark would be let off in spite of ripping the arms or legs off 25 people. He might get a warning or a restraining order. But that’s it.

In all seriousness, it baffles me just how hysterical the media seems to be getting about shark attacks. Right from the way they report it to talking about culling and other measures to ‘save’ us from shark attacks, they leave a sour taste in my mouth. Because in the end, on average, just 1 person dies of a shark attack in Australia. On the other hand, 58 women have died a violent death in 2015 alone in Australia!

Gives you perspective?

Yet, I hear more about measures to detect and track sharks than measures to detect and track assault perpetrators or rapists. Where is the hysteria around these deaths? Where is the blame on these perpetrators?

Or is it that these women just don’t matter?

So seriously, do you wonder why we blame the sharks and not the surfers or swimmers who go into shark territory? Yet society is so easy to blame women who get raped or assaulted?

Do share your thoughts on this weirdly incoherent post! {I swear it made sense in my head when I thought of it!}

***Linking with Jess this Tuesday for IBOT***

SANCH_sig1

• Amy @ HandbagMafia
    18 August 2015 at 7:25 am

Excellent post, Sanch! So true! I get mad about shark culls in general- there’s no greater example of human selfishness than killing animals for no reason other than our convenience- if sharks came into our homes to hurt us, sure. But they don’t. We go into theirs. Anyhoo, it’s a great analogy- we are far more absorbed in shark danger than danger from each other and it makes no sense!
    Amy @ HandbagMafia recently posted…The HPV VaccineMy Profile

• Sanch @ Living my Imperfect Life
      18 August 2015 at 7:48 am

Exactly! We are going into their homes…in sure we wouldn’t be happy with someone barging into outs, so why should they?

• Amy @ HandbagMafia
    18 August 2015 at 7:25 am

Amy @ HandbagMafia recently posted…The HPV VaccineMy Profile

• Sanch @ Living my Imperfect Life
      18 August 2015 at 7:48 am

• dani @ sand has no home
    18 August 2015 at 9:07 am

Isn’t it rubbish, how hysterical everyone gets about sharks?
    A fiiends sister was murdered by her partner last month, and it barely made a ripple in the media or the internet. That hurts. We take a risk going in the ocean, but we also take a risk every time we get in a car or leave our house. Sharks are unfairly maligned and you’re right, the attention needs to go elsewhere.
    dani @ sand has no home recently posted…JournalingMy Profile

• dani @ sand has no home
    18 August 2015 at 9:07 am

Isn’t it rubbish, how hysterical everyone gets about sharks?
    dani @ sand has no home recently posted…JournalingMy Profile

• Nicole @ The Builder's Wife
    18 August 2015 at 10:55 am

Excellent post and so true. Makes you wonder where and how this all went wrong?
    Nicole @ The Builder’s Wife recently posted…5 Reasons Building Your Home Is Better Than BuyingMy Profile

• Nicole @ The Builder's Wife
    18 August 2015 at 10:55 am

Excellent post and so true. Makes you wonder where and how this all went wrong?

• Kelly
    18 August 2015 at 12:21 pm

It is ridiculous how much media attention sharks get. It is the first news story of the night, followed by people killing each other. Weird.
    Kelly recently posted…DEAR MARKETING FOR CHOCOLATEMy Profile

• Kelly
    18 August 2015 at 12:21 pm

Kelly recently posted…DEAR MARKETING FOR CHOCOLATEMy Profile

• Harini
    18 August 2015 at 1:02 pm

Its the same here in India. A girl got raped then the girl must have enticed the guy by her clothes, or her walk, or her looks or by her mere existence. You wont believe when I say this but some guru came on national television and said in a rape a girl and guy both are equal culprits because the girl be wearing jeans and going out in the night and enticing the guy by leaving her hair open.

• Harini
    18 August 2015 at 1:02 pm

• Hugzilla
    18 August 2015 at 1:59 pm

Oh Sanch, this is BRILLIANT and a very compelling way to illustrate the different ways that victims of these incidents are treated – particularly, in the case of domestic violence that it is implied that the woman is complicit in the violence. So beautifully said.
    Hugzilla recently posted…Making Peace With Your Inner Loser When Everyone Else Wants to Be a WinnerMy Profile

• Hugzilla
    18 August 2015 at 1:59 pm

• Nabanita
    18 August 2015 at 4:08 pm

Makes so much sense Sanch… I guess when it comes to women it is a general rule to ignore and push back on any sort of action..
    Nabanita recently posted…To Leave Or Not To Leave….#MondayMusingsMy Profile

• Nabanita
    18 August 2015 at 4:08 pm

Nabanita recently posted…To Leave Or Not To Leave….#MondayMusingsMy Profile

• jess
    18 August 2015 at 5:10 pm

Haha I loved this Sanch! How perfectly this describes the ridiculousness of victim-shaming for victims of violence.
    jess recently posted…I am that girl, are you?My Profile

• jess
    18 August 2015 at 5:10 pm

jess recently posted…I am that girl, are you?My Profile

• Kaddu
    18 August 2015 at 9:46 pm

LOL! Loved that bullet-point list! I had no idea things were the same for women in Australia too.

Like the new look of your blog, by the way! It looks bright and sunny. And very clean. I especially love the heading font. Which one is it? Do you know the name?
    Kaddu recently posted…Windows Downgrade: Old Really Is Gold!My Profile

• Kaddu
    18 August 2015 at 9:46 pm

Kaddu recently posted…Windows Downgrade: Old Really Is Gold!My Profile

• Rajlakshmi
    18 August 2015 at 9:51 pm

I have always wondered at how the whole world so unanimously blame the victim. Is it so easy when a woman is victim rather than men. Everywhere, be it developed or underdeveloped country, the women gets blamed. The narrowness of human mind!! Loved the analogy … Brilliantly written.
    Rajlakshmi recently posted…This too shall pass !!My Profile

• Rajlakshmi
    18 August 2015 at 9:51 pm

Rajlakshmi recently posted…This too shall pass !!My Profile

• Tizzy Brown
    18 August 2015 at 10:02 pm

You made some great points here. I find the talk about culling sharks ridiculous when we are invading their territory. As you say, it’s a shame rapists and perpetrators of violent crimes aren’t treated the same and don’t get the same media attention. Instead everyone is so quick to make excuses for their behaviour, as if they are animals acting on natural instincts and not humans with the capacity for self-restraint, moral judgement and intellectual thought.
    Tizzy Brown recently posted…Stacking the Shelves (11) Netgalley HaulMy Profile

• Tizzy Brown
    18 August 2015 at 10:02 pm

Tizzy Brown recently posted…Stacking the Shelves (11) Netgalley HaulMy Profile

• EssentiallyJess
    19 August 2015 at 2:17 pm

I get what you’re saying, but there’s a huge difference between sharks and people. (Also I think that parts of that list are used in the instance of shark attacks). I’m not for culling sharks, but I think we need to find better ways of protecting beach goers, and I do wonder what role shark tourism has in creating more of a human ‘curiostiy’ in sharks.
    As for domestic violence, that definitely needs addressing, but it’s so much harder to identify. You can say with some certainty the area where sharks inhabit, and so instal safety measures, but it’s not so clear-cut with domestic violence. And even in the obvious cases, humans have the ability to change their actions which is more complicated than sharks who operate out of instinct.
    EssentiallyJess recently posted…Date Night. When Parents Go Rogue #IBOTMy Profile

• EssentiallyJess
    19 August 2015 at 2:17 pm

• simple girl
    19 August 2015 at 3:26 pm

Women do not matter . They never mattered.

• simple girl
    19 August 2015 at 3:26 pm

Women do not matter . They never mattered.

• Renee Wilson
    19 August 2015 at 9:33 pm

Clever post, Sanch. It really does give us perspective.
    Renee Wilson recently posted…Freckle faceMy Profile

• Renee Wilson
    19 August 2015 at 9:33 pm

Clever post, Sanch. It really does give us perspective.
    Renee Wilson recently posted…Freckle faceMy Profile

• J.Gi Federizo
    20 August 2015 at 3:20 am

I understand the worry over the sharks, truthfully. You are right, though, about the comparison with how rapists and violent attackers are treated. Seems like it’s easier to catch sharks than people.
    J.Gi Federizo recently posted…SIX TIPS ON BEING AN AUTHORMy Profile

• J.Gi Federizo
    20 August 2015 at 3:20 am

J.Gi Federizo recently posted…SIX TIPS ON BEING AN AUTHORMy Profile

• Sammie @ The Annoyed Thyroid
    21 August 2015 at 12:32 pm

This is such a great analogy and such clever writing! Bravo!

• Sammie @ The Annoyed Thyroid
    21 August 2015 at 12:32 pm

This is such a great analogy and such clever writing! Bravo!

• The month that was August 2015 - Living my Imperfect Life
    2 September 2015 at 10:58 pm

[…] at how time and again women are treated. After all, women can be so distracting for men and sharks are still considered more dangerous than the men killing women each month. I honestly feel like if I were the Prime Minister, I really […]

• The month that was August 2015 - Living my Imperfect Life