Life lessons

The lines on my face

Sometime last week I read an article about a woman in the UK who has refused to smile for 40 years so as to not get any wrinkles. And she’s right — her photos from the 80s and her photo today look pretty much the same. Just with a better hairstyle. She does not have any lines on her face.

But you know what? All I could think of when I read the article and saw her photo was ‘How sad’.

I didn’t feel at all envious that she has no lines on her face. All I could think of was that she has had to endure having a non-smiling face. She has spent 40 years of her life not laughing at jokes. She has spent 40 years of her life not smiling when in the company of friends and family. She has spent 40 years not smiling at the antics of cats or dogs. She has spent 40 years not smiling at the happiness evoked by the beauty of nature. Or the kindness of a stranger.

What a sad life it must be.

At 31, I’m starting to get a few more wrinkles on my face. Lines near my eyes. Lines near my mouth. Lines on my forehead.

And you know what? I’m not too fussed about these lines.

The lines near my eyes and mouth only show me that I have laughed a lot. That I’ve been happy several times in my life. The worry lines remind me of hard times and that I’ve overcome them to live my life to the fullest. I don’t have the pressure to not smile. I can smile when I’m in love. I can smile at my cats’ crazy antics. I can laugh out loud at politically incorrect jokes and stand up comedians. I can smile in the presence of nature. I can laugh at my stupidity at times.

facesofme

The lines on my face. I’m proud of them all.

Life is filled with moments that evoke emotional responses — happiness, sadness, anger, frustration, love, surprise, anxiety, fear. When we feel these, our nonverbal responses are important in how they are processed.

So you know what? If people like Kim Kardashian or Vitoria Beckham or this lady I previously mentioned want to go through their lives not expressing their emotions, then I for one feel sorry for them.

Because they are not experiencing life.

Do you worry about wrinkles? Do you make an effort to not smile so that you can remain wrinkle free?

Do you feel comfortable sharing photos with your wrinkles?

Do share!

***Linking with Alicia for Open Slather***

• Min@WriteoftheMiddle
    16 February 2015 at 7:52 am

I couldn’t give a hoot about my wrinkles. I feel sad for those women. Life is too short!! xo
    Min@WriteoftheMiddle recently posted…Mindful Monday: Attitudes Wrap UpMy Profile

• Min@WriteoftheMiddle
    16 February 2015 at 7:52 am

• Jody at Six Little Hearts
    16 February 2015 at 8:08 am

I am surprised they have any family or friends left to do anything with! How insane! Use it or lose it I say!
    Jody at Six Little Hearts recently posted…Cocobella Kids ReviewMy Profile

• Jody at Six Little Hearts
    16 February 2015 at 8:08 am

Jody at Six Little Hearts recently posted…Cocobella Kids ReviewMy Profile

• nabanita
    16 February 2015 at 3:47 pm

I feel sad for her you know… I don’t care about wrinkles and all that, never have…I guess it’s more important to live each day that be worried about something which will eventually happen and should happen
    nabanita recently posted…One ASUS Zenphone ValentineMy Profile

• nabanita
    16 February 2015 at 3:47 pm

nabanita recently posted…One ASUS Zenphone ValentineMy Profile

• Nisha Sanjeev
    16 February 2015 at 5:10 pm

Crazy…don’t even call her a woman! SAD!
    Nisha Sanjeev recently posted…Peception & belief!My Profile

• Nisha Sanjeev
    16 February 2015 at 5:10 pm

Crazy…don’t even call her a woman! SAD!
    Nisha Sanjeev recently posted…Peception & belief!My Profile

• Suzy
    16 February 2015 at 5:52 pm

Never worried about the lines on my face. How sad that some people would go to any lengths to avoid wrinkles and lines.
    Suzy recently posted…Five Minute Friday – WhenMy Profile

• Suzy
    16 February 2015 at 5:52 pm

Suzy recently posted…Five Minute Friday – WhenMy Profile

• Shailaja
    16 February 2015 at 6:34 pm

I have to agree with you. How sad for her! Then you have the other extreme of going for anti-wrinkle creams! Why? I mean, be happy in the here and now. Why is that so hard for people to get? How hollow must their lives be.
    Shailaja recently posted…Raising our voices: The right way #1000SpeakMy Profile

• Shailaja
    16 February 2015 at 6:34 pm

Shailaja recently posted…Raising our voices: The right way #1000SpeakMy Profile

• Caroline @ Mamma Raj Says
    16 February 2015 at 7:24 pm

Wrinkles, Sminkles! We all get them….well obviously not all of us but I agree with you who would want to be them!

• Caroline @ Mamma Raj Says
    16 February 2015 at 7:24 pm

• Alicia
    16 February 2015 at 9:33 pm

I am suddenly very proud of the wrinkles on my face. I had the same thought, that she is not really enjoying life. I saw her on the Project, and the videos they showed her to see if they got a reaction were hilarious! She did even crack half a smile.
    Alicia recently posted…Flatbread wrapsMy Profile

16 February 2015 at 9:56 pm

Well you look way younger than your age 🙂
    I believe in aging gracefully, with grey hair and wrinkles and wisdom 🙂
    Rajlakshmi recently posted…Eternal Girl – Yoga NecklaceMy Profile

• Anne@gritandgiggles
    17 February 2015 at 10:00 am

I don’t worry about lines or wrinkles, they show a life lived. I can’t say I really have much in the way of them but have noticed they are starting the appear around my eyes. I would prefer lines from living life than no lines from not. I do need to care more when out in the sun though, hmm.
    Anne@gritandgiggles recently posted…Stepping back in timeMy Profile

• Anne@gritandgiggles
    17 February 2015 at 10:00 am

Anne@gritandgiggles recently posted…Stepping back in timeMy Profile

• Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me
    17 February 2015 at 10:24 am

You’re such a babe and yes I have HEAPS of wrinkles but smiling and laughing are things that make my soul happy – who cares about lines, they are well earned! x
    Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me recently posted…You’ve got it good.My Profile

• Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me
    17 February 2015 at 10:24 am

Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me recently posted…You’ve got it good.My Profile

• elly stornebrink
    17 February 2015 at 8:02 pm

It’s silly to avoid life – feeling life – joy even, by not smiling. That’s ludicrous! How can you live, be alive, feel free, feel happy….? She sure is missing out! Keep smiling Sanch wrinkles and all…they’re worth having to show a life well lived! 🙂 <3
    elly stornebrink recently posted…NaBloPoMo: Make…a Mistake? Who Me?! 😉My Profile

• elly stornebrink
    17 February 2015 at 8:02 pm

• J.Gi Federizo
    17 February 2015 at 8:48 pm

I do worry about wrinkles but I understand they are a part of life. I really won’t mind getting laugh wrinkles, at least I laughed. How pathetic that woman seems to me. Vain and pathetic and I’m not even annoyed, but rather sad for her. I fortunately have not much wrinkles yet; I do know they’re bound to appear and I’ll let nature take its course.
    J.Gi Federizo recently posted…“SMILES, WINKS AND GOOGLY EYES”My Profile

• J.Gi Federizo
    17 February 2015 at 8:48 pm

J.Gi Federizo recently posted…“SMILES, WINKS AND GOOGLY EYES”My Profile

• Roshan Radhakrishnan
    20 February 2015 at 4:45 pm

Always better to have a face with wrinkles that are caused by a life full of laughter… no doubt about that. In some ways, you really need to pity that person for her decision.
    Roshan Radhakrishnan recently posted…The World is Not a Bad Place #1000SpeakMy Profile

• Roshan Radhakrishnan