Feminism Fodder Soapbox Issues

On gender inequality: Blog Action Day 2014

If you follow my blog, you will know by now that I’m a staunch feminist. While there are several issues I am passionate about, I thought that for Blog Action Day this year, I just had to talk about gender inequality. Yes, even in 2014. Because let’s face it, this is still very much a part of the culture worldwide.

gender inequality

I think I was a feminist long before I even knew the term. Being born a girl in India, you cannot help but notice the inequality in society from a young age. For instance, I noticed how I was told to not play rough games like the boys by some of the older generation. Or that at school I was told by the PE teacher that girls didn’t play cricket {in response to my request for a girl’s cricket team}. Or when I was told off by a teacher for whistling because girls don’t whistle.

I noticed how my friends’ brothers were given more freedom than  they ever were. While my parents were generally liberal, I noticed a few other things. Like how my father called his in-laws ‘aunty’ and ‘uncle’ whereas my mother called hers ‘mum’ and ‘dad’. And how my mother wasn’t allowed to pursue the education of her choice by her parents just because of her gender. Or how the religious rituals emphasised that women had to pray for the well-being of their husbands. And of course, when a woman had her period, she wasn’t allowed anywhere around god or in extreme cases, anywhere in the kitchen or common house areas. Because she was supposedly impure.

I’d like to think that generally as a society we have started treating women reasonably on par with men. After all, it is 2014.

But sadly, reality says otherwise.

Women still earn less in most countries for the same work. In the US, women’s earnings are 78% of men’s earnings in 2013 while in Australia, the gender pay gap is 17%. Violence against women continues to be rife and yet, the voices against it are stifled more often than not. One in three women will experience some form of violence in her lifetime. This can be in the form of rape, physical abuse, domestic violence, emotional abuse. When a woman is raped, time and again around the world, people blame the woman — what was she wearing, what is her profession, why was she out at that time of the night, what was she drinking, why was she drinking. And yet, no one questions the rapist — why did you rape her?

There are still countries in the world where women don’t get to choose who they marry. Or even when they want to get married. Women are still the first to be denied education in many developing countries. This, in spite of the fact that educating girls can improve the economy of the country. In countries like India, female foeticide and infanticide is still rife to the point where the gender ratio in some states is extremely skewed.

Facebookinstagramsocialtile2

We might be in the year 2014 but we still have a long way to go in this world for women to be treated equally. This is why we need feminism. This is why we need days like White Ribbon Day. This is why we need International Women’s Day.

Hopefully, we will educate people. And create awareness of the gender inequality that seeps through society as a whole.

What are your thoughts on gender inequality?

Do share!

photo credit: craftivist collective via photopin cc

• Winnie
    15 October 2014 at 8:41 pm

Great article, Kathy! So true! Did you see the new equality party forming? Saw Gov Cuomo and his family on tv speaking of these issues.

• Sanch @ Living my Imperfect Life
      16 October 2014 at 10:29 pm

Hi Winnie, I think you’ve though this was someone else’s blog but thanks for the comment! 🙂

• Winnie
    15 October 2014 at 8:41 pm

• Sanch @ Living my Imperfect Life
      16 October 2014 at 10:29 pm

• vishalbheeroo
    16 October 2014 at 5:40 am

Thought-provoking post, Sanch. It’s sad how prejudice is nurtured against women and social conditioning. It’s horrifying.

• Sanch @ Living my Imperfect Life
      16 October 2014 at 10:30 pm

Thanks Vishal…it’s an epidemic that is so infiltrated in society and we do need to break through it.

• vishalbheeroo
    16 October 2014 at 5:40 am

• Sanch @ Living my Imperfect Life
      16 October 2014 at 10:30 pm

• Hugzilla
    16 October 2014 at 7:06 am

Thank you for being one of the people who understand that there is still so much work to do, sometimes it feels like a very lonely viewpoint. A lot of people refuse to engage with the notion that true equality between the genders does not exist, and it is particularly galling to me to see young women holding up signs declaring that feminism is unnecessary.
    Hugzilla recently posted…Bringing Home the Bacon: Adventures with Oliving by HansMy Profile

• Sanch @ Living my Imperfect Life
      16 October 2014 at 10:31 pm

Thanks Hugzilla…it does feel lonely sometimes to have this view. And oh those signs about feminism is unnecessary made me want to weep in frustration! The ignorance astounds me.

• Hugzilla
    16 October 2014 at 7:06 am

• Sanch @ Living my Imperfect Life
      16 October 2014 at 10:31 pm

• Jenny Cooke
    16 October 2014 at 5:27 pm

Thanks for a great post telling your own story alongside the wider problem. I’m a civil engineer and just spent several days discussing the future of the profession, especially why we have 25% female engineering students dropping to only 4% of managers being female. As one person said: we appear to be driving women out as they get older. This has got to change, and I’m determined to be part of changing it. http://www.treadinglightly.org.uk

• Sanch @ Living my Imperfect Life
      16 October 2014 at 10:33 pm

Welcome here Jenny! Thanks for sharing that statistic…it’s sad that so many women drop out of engineering! And it’s those kind of stats that need to make all of us work harder to obtain equality. I’m so glad you are part of changing things! Good on you for your work!

• Jenny Cooke
    16 October 2014 at 5:27 pm

• Sanch @ Living my Imperfect Life
      16 October 2014 at 10:33 pm

• nabanita
    16 October 2014 at 10:54 pm

Don’t even get me started… What bothers me is that there are women who treat the word feminism as some kind of cuss word..As if we didn’t have enough problems already!
    nabanita recently posted…Join Us & Say No To InequalityMy Profile

• nabanita
    16 October 2014 at 10:54 pm

nabanita recently posted…Join Us & Say No To InequalityMy Profile

• Shalini
    17 October 2014 at 4:23 am

Brilliant Sanch! Loved your write- to each word! I can see we have thought on similar lines…
    Shalini recently posted…Say No to Inequality #Inequality #BAD2014My Profile

• Shalini
    17 October 2014 at 4:23 am

Shalini recently posted…Say No to Inequality #Inequality #BAD2014My Profile

• Amy @ HandbagMafia
    17 October 2014 at 6:41 am

I had no idea there was a blog action day- clearly am worst blogger ever!
    Your post is a brilliant summary. The pay gap and violence against women are two issues I’m very passionate about and it infuriates me that the government is doing so little to address either. I think we have to keep voicing these concerns and spreading the word, like you have done here, to make our voices heard and prompt further action. Great post!
    Amy @ HandbagMafia recently posted…Love it or Leave it…My Profile

• Amy @ HandbagMafia
    17 October 2014 at 6:41 am

I had no idea there was a blog action day- clearly am worst blogger ever!
    Amy @ HandbagMafia recently posted…Love it or Leave it…My Profile

• BellyBytes
    17 October 2014 at 12:13 pm

Sad but true…….all life is unequal. But isn’t that half the fun? Imagine how boring your life would be if you had nothing to rant and rave about?
    BellyBytes recently posted…What is the favourite part of your day?My Profile

• BellyBytes
    17 October 2014 at 12:13 pm

BellyBytes recently posted…What is the favourite part of your day?My Profile

• Rah
    18 October 2014 at 8:28 pm

*so* true. I had a very skewed opinion, probably based on brain washing from my mum when I was growing up (mum wasy V old fashioned…) and reading/watching Sheyl Sandberg has really helped me to understand feminism and equal opportunity better.

Great post Sanch 🙂
    Rah recently posted…The one with the carrotsMy Profile

• Rah
    18 October 2014 at 8:28 pm

Great post Sanch 🙂
    Rah recently posted…The one with the carrotsMy Profile

• Cassandra
    19 October 2014 at 2:24 pm

I love this post so much! I work in childcare and often, even today, I hear these sorts of sexist things from other educators and even children themselves. In the last year I’ve heard a four-year-old boy tell a girl the same age that cricket and football are for boys and girls can only play netball, and I’ve heard a teacher tell a girl of two that if she eats too fast she’ll never get a boyfriend!
    Struggling against opinions like this can be exhausting, but I feel like I have a duty to both girls AND boys.
    Cassandra recently posted…Beauty Tuesday: Microbead-Free ExfoliationMy Profile

• Cassandra
    19 October 2014 at 2:24 pm

Cassandra recently posted…Beauty Tuesday: Microbead-Free ExfoliationMy Profile

• peppylady (Dora)
    21 October 2014 at 1:38 pm

We came a long way…When I was in first grade (mid sixty) we were ask to draw a picture of what we want to be when we grew up.
    Well the girls of class either drew picture of mommies, teacher, or nurse. Guess what I drew a picture of an Astronaut and the entire classed roared with laughter.
    We came long and still have all sort of hurdles to get over.

Coffee is on
    peppylady (Dora) recently posted…Weekend Photo Hunt (Fun-Rock)My Profile

• peppylady (Dora)
    21 October 2014 at 1:38 pm

We came long and still have all sort of hurdles to get over.

Coffee is on
    peppylady (Dora) recently posted…Weekend Photo Hunt (Fun-Rock)My Profile

• An Open Letter to Julie Bishop - Living my Imperfect Life
    31 October 2014 at 6:33 am

[…] still need to use the term because at the end of the day, it is about the equal rights for women. Gender inequality still exists in 2014 Ms Bishop. Here in Australia, as well as across the globe. It’s just seen […]

• An Open Letter to Julie Bishop - Living my Imperfect Life
    31 October 2014 at 6:33 am

• How to create the life of your dreams
    21 November 2014 at 10:11 am

[…] The beautiful Sanch @ Living My Imperfect Life recently wrote a killer article on feminism and the state of gender inequality in 2014. We’ve come a long way but boy, do we have a long way to go yet! See Sanch’s article here. […]

• How to create the life of your dreams
    21 November 2014 at 10:11 am

• Erica Ortiz
    16 October 2015 at 11:55 pm

I chose the same topic for Blog Action Day, and in my research, I was shocked at how women were treated in other countries around the world. They don’t HAVE a voice, as they are hardly regarded as human beings. There is staggering numbers of violent acts, and more. I was already an advocate for Women’s Rights, but never more so than after learning about the gender injustices.
    Erica Ortiz recently posted…Raise your Voice – Blog Action Day 2015My Profile