All about the mind

Everybody needs a therapist

This is a sponsored post for Noosa Confidential.

medium_4837657

photo credit: tomswift46 ( Hi Res Images for Sale) via photopin cc

I have recently realised that almost everyone needs to see a therapist. Whether you choose to see a psychologist, a social worker, a psychiatrist, a counsellor or a psychotherapist, I think it’s useful to see someone. Even if it is for a few sessions. And yes, even if you are a health professional yourself. In fact, I reckon they should make it mandatory for health professionals {but that’s a whole different story!}.

Personally, I also think it’s important to see a therapist not just when things are at a crisis point. Having a well-being model where you just want to improve your moments or be okay with the imperfections in life is also a good enough reason to see a therapist. Most importantly, I don’t think people need a mental health diagnosis to have to see a therapist {no matter what Medicare says!}

Here are my reasons as to why everyone needs a therapist at some point in their lives:

• You have someone there to validate your feelings and your behaviours. Something most people in your life probably won’t do.
  • If you want to ramble on, most of them will let you. And the good ones will drop little nuggets that make you think and reflect on yourself, thereby helping you to grow as a person.
  • It is the one person to whom you can tell your deepest and darkest fears to and know that it will not be spread around. My therapist knows one of my fears that I haven’t mentioned to anyone. Ever.
  • Life isn’t easy. And sometimes, through the dark and difficult times, we need someone to guide us. Sure, we all have families and friends but sometimes, it’s easier to reach out to a person who doesn’t know you.
  • Everyone could do with a few strategies in their bag of tricks for future use. This is something I tell my clients who think they are ‘fine’. It’s always beneficial to have preventative strategies in times of stress.

If everyone saw a therapist at some point, wouldn’t it also end the stigma associated with seeking therapy? I do wish that we could all look at mental health as a well-being model rather than an illness model. It could possibly reduce some of the stigma. I know that when I first made the decision to seek therapy, I was worried about what people would think. But you know what? I don’t care any more. And surprisingly, through speaking to a few people about it, I have found out just how many people {including health professionals} seek therapy at some point in their lives.

Because we are all human.

We all face our struggles.

And because none of us is perfect, it is okay to ask for help.

***Disclaimer: I am not in any way affiliated with Noosa Confidential nor have I accessed their services. This post is about seeking therapy in general for any problem you may have. I am passionate about mental health and will continue to write about the same on this space***

***Linking up with Grace for FYBF***

• Janet @ Redland City Living
    13 December 2013 at 10:17 am

This is an absolutely BRILLIANT post and I couldn’t agree more!!!! Well said!
    Janet @ Redland City Living recently posted…Random Search Terms that have brought people to my Blog!My Profile

• Janet @ Redland City Living
    13 December 2013 at 10:17 am

This is an absolutely BRILLIANT post and I couldn’t agree more!!!! Well said!

• Wendy Parks
    13 December 2013 at 2:01 pm

So agree with you! I went to my GP to ask for a mental health plan so I could talk to someone after losing 6 IVF babies and dealing with a heap of step family challenges, but she said I didn’t quality as I was not suicidal or on depression medication.
    What a sad place we have come to when we let people wait until they get to that point before we validate the support of seeing a therapist!
    Wendy Parks recently posted…I Love ChristmasMy Profile

• Psych Babbler
      16 December 2013 at 6:57 pm

Welcome here Wendy! That really sucks that you didn’t qualify! My GP was a lot more supportive…I don’t think I really met criteria as I wasn’t suicidal nor was I on any medication but my anxiety was affecting my sleep and my GP was more than happy to give me a referral to see someone. It’s sad though that it has gotten to a stage where the problem needs to be moderate to severe to actually get Medicare benefits. Having said that, I am worried we may be headed down a privatisation of all mental health and health resources…

• Wendy Parks
    13 December 2013 at 2:01 pm

Wendy Parks recently posted…I Love ChristmasMy Profile

• Psych Babbler
      16 December 2013 at 6:57 pm

• Toni @ Finding Myself Young
    13 December 2013 at 7:09 pm

So true. I am currently seeing a psychologist and its the best thing I have ever done. Its nice to talk to someone who is outside of the situations you are going through, but can still validate your feelings. And they actually LISTEN instead of pretending to care.
    Toni @ Finding Myself Young recently posted…Mummy Must Have | Bibska bibsMy Profile

• Psych Babbler
      16 December 2013 at 7:03 pm

Welcome here Toni…you’re so right! It’s so useful having someone objective and willing to listen and validate. 🙂

• Toni @ Finding Myself Young
    13 December 2013 at 7:09 pm

• Psych Babbler
      16 December 2013 at 7:03 pm

• Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me
    14 December 2013 at 3:30 pm

Oh how I wish I could afford to speak to someone about my innermost feelings and then not worry what they would do with that info! Great post hun x
    Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me recently posted…Who knew that getting a child’s haircut could be so horrific?My Profile

• Psych Babbler
      16 December 2013 at 7:09 pm

Well, they are bound by ethics and legally have to keep information confidential unless there are risk issues Em. It is helpful though!

• Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me
    14 December 2013 at 3:30 pm

• Psych Babbler
      16 December 2013 at 7:09 pm

• Prathma
    14 December 2013 at 11:13 pm

I completely agree. Have always wanted to see a therapist but a good one not one who is going to be conservative and judgemental. And good therapists are not easy to find in Ahmedabad unfortunately.

• Psych Babbler
      16 December 2013 at 7:10 pm

Oh I hear you Prathma…I’d be a bit suss about seeing some therapists in India…only because when I spoke to some as part of assignments, they were all conservative and judgemental. And this was in Bombay!

• Prathma
    14 December 2013 at 11:13 pm

• Psych Babbler
      16 December 2013 at 7:10 pm

• Silas Knight
    28 June 2016 at 6:38 am

I can definitely see how people can benefit from seeing a therapist. I think the fourth benefits you have listed here is the one that hit me the hardest. Asking for help from people who know you already can be somewhat unhelpful sometimes, so asking advice from a therapist could really help.

• Silas Knight