Life

Brings back memories

This weekend has been spent in front of the computer surrounded by loads of papers. Yes, it sounds nerdy. But it’s because I was preparing for my talk which is coming up this Wednesday. At last count, 46 people had registered for it. And I think that was enough to give me a serious kick on my backside. I impressed myself by my focus and concentration particularly in the mornings. And by this afternoon, I had done my PowerPoint and run through the whole thing once.

Anyway, all this brings back memories of uni days.

I miss uni. I miss the anxiety and the adrenalin rush. I miss looking up articles, printing them out and reading them while making notes. In fact, I’d forgotten how I prepared for presentations! It’s been that long. And again, all it does it make me contemplate going back to uni. I’m not sure if I’ll even get in. But maybe, just maybe, I should try. There is just one uni in the whole of Australia that offers a distance education program in clinical psychology. It doesn’t leave me with many options. And limits my chances.

As I take a break from all that preparation, all I can think of is how enjoyable the process is. And how I’d like to do it again.

Yes, I’m a nerd. I know it. And I’m not ashamed to admit it.

I’ll leave you with a picture from last night when I was taking a break.

Yes, someone [Buttons] thought it’d be a fun game to slide across the articles stacked in a pile on the floor.

Entirely my fault!

• lifeinametropolis
    29 July 2012 at 11:16 am

Hey! I nominated you for the “One Lovely Blog Award”, so you can check it out here if you want to participate: http://lifeinametropolis.wordpress.com/2012/07/29/one-lovely-blog-award/ Please keep up your great work which is truly inspiring to me!!!!

5 August 2012 at 6:41 am

Thanks Tea-aholic! Will take it up…

• lifeinametropolis
    29 July 2012 at 11:16 am

5 August 2012 at 6:41 am

Thanks Tea-aholic! Will take it up…

• Charleen
    29 July 2012 at 6:03 pm

I know how you feel. I SO miss being in school. It always makes me a little sad every August when I hear about people heading back for another year, and I don’t get to.

5 August 2012 at 6:56 am

It’s a shame education isn’t cheaper! 🙂 I’m sure we’d all be studying more…

• Charleen
    29 July 2012 at 6:03 pm

5 August 2012 at 6:56 am

It’s a shame education isn’t cheaper! 🙂 I’m sure we’d all be studying more…

• Lazy Pineapple
    30 July 2012 at 3:25 am

All the best for your talk 🙂

5 August 2012 at 6:57 am

Thanks LP…I saw the comment before the talk and cherished the good wishes I got here!

• Lazy Pineapple
    30 July 2012 at 3:25 am

All the best for your talk 🙂

5 August 2012 at 6:57 am

• R's Mom
    30 July 2012 at 4:32 am

hey being a Nerd is cool okie..at least in my view 🙂 I am one myself 🙂

All the best for the ppt, you sure will be a super duper hit okie 🙂

Let us know how it turned out, keeping fingers crossed

5 August 2012 at 6:58 am

Agree. Nerds rule!! 😀 Thanks for the wishes for the presentation…it went well. I was nervous initially staring at 40-odd faces but it got better.

• R's Mom
    30 July 2012 at 4:32 am

hey being a Nerd is cool okie..at least in my view 🙂 I am one myself 🙂

All the best for the ppt, you sure will be a super duper hit okie 🙂

Let us know how it turned out, keeping fingers crossed

5 August 2012 at 6:58 am

• Smita
    30 July 2012 at 9:55 am

Great that u r done with the prep. Confidence wise I am sure u r now on a higher ground 🙂

Good Luck for the D Day 🙂

5 August 2012 at 7:42 am

Thanks Smita…I was a bit more confident thanks to the prep…and on the day was a bit nervous to begin with but it got better. Thanks for all the wishes! 🙂

• Smita
    30 July 2012 at 9:55 am

Good Luck for the D Day 🙂

5 August 2012 at 7:42 am

• Julia
    30 July 2012 at 10:52 am

From someone currently engrossed in writing up the intro to her psych honours thesis DON”T DO IT, it may seem good in retrospect, but in the moment its HELL.

Just joking, really. Its not that bad. I can’t believe how competitive it is to get in honours then masters and i guess you’re looking at PhD – is that any less competitive? its crazy.

I’d like to do a PhD one day…. I’ve still got to get through this year, first…. (and this is studying for my second career so by the time i’ll be able to do a PhD i’ll probably be close to retirement. seems that way anyway).

Good luck with your presentation on Wednesday. Sounds like you are well prepared which is the vital ingredient.

5 August 2012 at 7:47 am

I must admit Julia…the thesis part is not something I like! Not looking at a PhD though…not a fan of research. Was thinking about a DPsych in Clin Psych at the moment given I have a masters in Ed & Dev.

It’s so great that you are doing psych as a change in career…a PhD is still doable for you. 🙂 You could do it while working if you like.

Thanks for the wishes for the presentation…it went well after some initial nervousness.

• Julia
    30 July 2012 at 10:52 am

5 August 2012 at 7:47 am

• Maddie
    30 July 2012 at 1:27 pm

Don’t sweat it! 🙂

Give an online presentation to all your loyal readers through a webex session? What say? We all will give positive feedback :)That should ease some anxiety! 🙂

5 August 2012 at 10:53 am

Haha…that option made me smile Maddie when I’d read it. It was a good idea! It went well though…I started off quite nervously but then it got better. Thanks for all the wishes!

• Maddie
    30 July 2012 at 1:27 pm

Don’t sweat it! 🙂

5 August 2012 at 10:53 am

• memoriesandmirages
    30 July 2012 at 2:25 pm

oh wow. i would love to go back to school someday too, pb. miss everything that you’ve mentioned. have to look into it seriously and do something 😀

best wishes for the presentation. do write about how it went after you’re done.

5 August 2012 at 10:58 am

You and me both T! Looking into this option of studying seriously. The presentation went well. I was nervous initially staring at 40-odd faces but then it got better. 🙂

• memoriesandmirages
    30 July 2012 at 2:25 pm

best wishes for the presentation. do write about how it went after you’re done.

5 August 2012 at 10:58 am