Gratitude

Blood Donation

I donated blood for the very first time in my life yesterday! For someone who hates even having blood tests, it was a big deal. I went with a couple of colleagues from work to a blood donation centre nearby after work yesterday.

It’s an interesting process. If you’ve never given blood before, you have a couple of questionnaires to complete including your basic details and a health history. Following that, you are taken to an interview room and interviewed by one of the staff. Basically, it’s just them cross-checking the information and clarifying if you have answered ‘yes’ to some of the questions. If they are satisfied with your responses and with your height and weight, the next step is a prick on the finger to get a quick blood sample to check for iron levels and some other stuff I have no clue about.

Finally, you are taken into the room to actually donate the blood. The ladies at the centre I went to were great. Knowing that I had never donated and that I was anxious, they did their best to put me at ease. And you know what? It just hurts for a second when the needle is inserted into your vein. Of course, you have to have it in for about 10 mins while about 500 mls of your blood is taken. Given that I’m very queasy at the sight of blood, I just didn’t look at it being sucked through. Once you are done giving all that blood, they get you to wait on the chair for another 5 mins or so and then ask you to have something cold to drink [which they provide] to replenish yourself. All in all, it’s a process that takes about 30 mins to an hour if you’ve never done it before. It’s quicker if you have.

I am glad I did it. I am now keen on doing it more often. I think given the shortage of blood and knowing how important it is, I might as well do my bit while I am healthy. I also know that last year when mum had to go through her open heart surgery, she needed a whole lot of blood. And I’m sure there are many other people like her.

So if you are in Australia and are healthy, please do your bit and give blood. You can find your nearest Red Cross Blood Donor Service through here. They also have a questionnaire about whether you are capable of giving blood or not and also talk about what to do before [drink lots of water, eat something]. You can also do a bit of Christmas giving this year by giving blood!

It’s something so small that can mean something big!

• Magali
    23 December 2011 at 11:22 pm

I think it’s an amazing thing PB! πŸ™‚
    I am too underweight but the moment I’m not I hope to do this. I was lobbying for my friends to look into bone marrow donation as well, do check that out.

• Magali
    23 December 2011 at 11:22 pm

I think it’s an amazing thing PB! πŸ™‚

• Psych Babbler
    24 December 2011 at 12:20 am

One of my colleagues couldn’t donate either Mags due to being underweight. I am still a bit chicken re the plasma donation! πŸ˜› Soon…soon…

• Priyanka Victor
    24 December 2011 at 7:15 am

It’s very nice of you to have donated even though you are queasy. I haven’t yet, but I’m planning to become a regular soon πŸ™‚
    You know, what little we can do to save someone’s life.

• Psych Babbler
    24 December 2011 at 7:22 am

I doubt I could have done it if I hadn’t had others there with me PeeVee! But yeah, I reckon if I could do it, so could other healthy individuals! And it’s something really simple we can do to save someone’s life…and are fortunate enough to be able to do so!

• whiningattheworld
    24 December 2011 at 8:19 am

Well done. What a great thing you have done especially with issues about blood tests etc.

I have donated a few times and want to go onto the bone marrow registry but unfortunately I haven’t be able to this year. Oh well, maybe next year.

• Red Handed
    24 December 2011 at 8:37 am

I have never ever done this πŸ™ I am not afraid…but actually never thought of it and never got a chance. That was a beautiful thing to do girl!!

• Psych Babbler
    25 December 2011 at 5:34 am

Thanks E…I am still scared of the bone marrow donation..apparently it takes longer…will see if I can build up the nerve sometime in the future. For now, I know I am ok with the blood part! πŸ™‚

• Psych Babbler
    25 December 2011 at 5:37 am

Thanks Red Handed! Back when I was in Bombay, they would do blood drives in college but I was always too chicken to take the plunge. I don’t know where else they do in India but I’m sure they do given my mum needed a lot of blood…

• Gunjaaish
    26 December 2011 at 10:48 am

Oh I know how great it feels. I was on the top of the world when I donted blood the first time. πŸ™‚

• Scribbyscribs
    26 December 2011 at 11:18 am

I really have to start doing it and only reasons that I haven’t done it so far is some stupid fear of needle prick and the sight of blood πŸ™ I know this is silly but right now I’m scared but Im bringing myself to overcome this…given that Husby donates regularly I’ve to learn from him!

thanks for sharing this,you are an inspiration !

• Psych Babbler
    26 December 2011 at 10:36 pm

That’s great G…long time no see, by the way! πŸ™‚ It is a special feeling, isn’t it?

• Psych Babbler
    26 December 2011 at 10:37 pm

Scribby…I too have a fear of needles and blood! The trick is to not look while it’s happening…I didn’t look once…the prick hurts a bit but once it’s in, there’s no pain. But I still didn’t look and continued talking to my colleagues the entire time. Only looked once everything was out. So yeah, it’s do-able even with the fears!

• Miss Smack
    28 December 2011 at 6:26 am

Good on you. I donate every three months without fail and have done for about 10 years. It’s handy that the SA Government supports Red Cross donations and releases public servants, paid to donate. It’s a good feeling. xx

• bookslifenmore
    28 December 2011 at 10:08 am

As u know I donated blood today!!! But u know the 1st time when I had donated I had a sense of pride in me, it was like a big achvmt for me πŸ™‚

• Psych Babbler
    28 December 2011 at 11:54 pm

Thanks Miss Smack…wow…every 3 months is great! I am going to start being regular too. I know at some of the hospital jobs here, they let people go and donate blood during work hours too…not sure about community health! πŸ™‚

• Psych Babbler
    28 December 2011 at 11:54 pm

I know what you mean Smita…I felt that huge sense of pride too about doing something so worthwhile!

• Gunjaaish
    2 January 2012 at 10:59 am

I know! Long time no comment I’d say. I do read all your blogs. Work and Koyri keeping me busy.Β

• Psych Babbler
    6 January 2012 at 9:28 pm

That’s good to know G…it’s the same on this side…I read your posts but don’t comment often.

• donordateaustralia
    9 October 2012 at 7:49 pm

So great to hear that you came around to donate blood! its such an important thing and can help many more people who might be in a similar position of need like your mum was. Thank you for sharing your wonderful first time donor experience! we hope you keep donating πŸ™‚

• Psych Babbler
      14 October 2012 at 1:58 pm

Thanks for commenting! And I do intend to donate but apparently I can only donate plasma henceforth. Just trying to find time on a day off to do so…

• Donating blood this festive season » Over Cups of Coffee
    17 December 2012 at 11:00 am

[…] not sure if you remember but last year I donated blood for the very first time on Christmas […]