Ah food. One of my biggest loves. And I have to choose only five?? That’s so not on! But I thought of a sneaky way around it. I’m going to list my top five cuisine types and mention some of my favourite foods that are part of the cuisine. That way, I really get to indulge!
5. Desserts: Technically not a cuisine type I know. But I have a sweet tooth (thankfully not all the time!) and want to include it! I tend to enjoy anything with chocolate in it (dark or milk only…not a fan of white choc). So cakes and chocolate ice-creams and milkshakes are all part of this love. However, since coming to Australia, I’ve also tried desserts such as custard tarts and apple and berry crumbles and I love those! Not big on most Indian sweets but I enjoy the occasional jalebi or gulab jamun or peda.
4. Mexican: Nachos, tacos, enchilladas, burritos, quesadillas…yum, yum, yum. I’ve been to a Mexican restaurant probably only twice but I do enjoy preparing the food at home. I can make a wicked quesadilla thanks to a wonderful recipe book I have. R makes amazing nachos which are oh-so-good and oh-so-bad for you as well. I think I know what I’m craving for now…
3. Thai: I first had Thai food when I came here to Australia. My first dish was Pad Thai which I didn’t really enjoy as much. I almost washed my hands off Thai food. But luckily I tried it once again. And this time, I tried what is now my favourite — Green Curry. I also enjoy Chilli Basil noodles, Red curry, Mussamun curry and the curry puffs for entrees. I have made green and red curry at home and while the curry is good, it’s still not as great as some of the restaurants. I’ve also tried home-made Pad Thai and I find that I prefer it to the ones at the restaurants.
2. Lebanese: I am in love with Lebanese food! The kebabs, the lentil rice, the dips (hummus, baba ghanoush), lamb and chicken shawarma, falafels, kaftas, shish taouk…I could go on and on. I love the flavours and the spices. There are some restaurants in Sydney that serve the best Lebanese foods I’ve eaten…and they come recommended by some of my Lebanese friends and colleagues so you know they are amazing! I am in the process of trying to learn to cook some recipes at home. Fingers crossed I succeed.
1. Indian: Nothing beats Indian food for me (though Lebanese comes close…). I’ve generally preferred north Indian cuisine to south Indian though I do love my dosas, vadas, sambhar and chutney. I love chole and puris. Naan is amazing and something I look forward to when I go to restaurants. I absolutely adore pav bhaji, bhel puri, sev puri, pani puri and samosas. And of course, butter chicken, rogan josh, korma, paneer dishes, and vindaloo. I am happy to say I can cook some Indian dishes from scratch and do enjoy them. One thing I’ve realised is that Indian dishes may not look pretty or appetising, but the aromas and the flavours themselves tell you the real story.
So tell me, what foods do you enjoy? Any favourites? Any food you can’t live without?
Until next time,