If you were boss of the world, what is one thing you would change? Just one.
I propose to change the way information is presented via the media —
- The media will no longer be allowed to sensationalise news and can only report facts.
- The media will focus on people doing good for society and not on trashy celebrities. In fact, people like Britney Spears or Lady Gaga or Lindsey Lohan will not be reported on at all. Rather, the media will focus on the common man doing something altruistic or the researcher developing a cure for AIDS and cancer.
- No one will get their 15 minutes of fame for acting like a wanker or uploading a stupid YouTube video or tweeting.
- The media will not be allowed to make judgements about anyone. Only report the facts.
- TV shows like A Current Affair or Today Tonight will be banned unless they focus on the goodness of people. No more shows on bludgers or weight loss and miracle diets and clothes.
- Sportspersons being idiots by urinating in public or getting into fights will not get any air-time. Instead, the ones doing good can be praised.
- Morning show presenters will not be permitted to go to disaster zones and report as though the end of the world is nearing. And they will be penalised for looking disappointed if there are no casualties as a result of a natural disaster.
So I repeat, if I could change the world, I’ll change the manner in which the media presents information. I hope to make it more ethical and humane and useful than the bunch of crap it currently is.
Until next time,