Soapbox Issues

Practice what you preach

This news in the papers astounded me.

Organisations that are run by churches in Victoria are going to be allowed to discriminate against individuals based on their sexuality (homosexuals), marital status and parental status (single mothers)  as a ‘compromise’ for not discriminated based on age, disability, race, physical features (whatever that may be), and political beliefs.

Before I get into my rant, let me tell you about my religious standing. I was brought up Hindu and I currently consider myself to be agnostic. I have faith but I am not overly religious. But I am fascinated by religion in that how it can sometimes be the bane of humankind (my words) with all the discrimination and the religious conflicts. I don’t think any religion is better than the other. There are fanatics in all religions that leave me disgusted and make me think that somewhere god is shaking his or her head and wondering what went wrong.

Anyway, this new ruling in Victoria does have it’s critics although the church seems to think it’s a fair decision. Here’s my question: What gives them the right to judge someone based on sexuality or being a single parent? Who the fuck are these people to judge? I can’t recall god saying anything along those lines. I know I’ve heard from some religious zealots that “It’s Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve” and such crap as a justification that god is against homosexuality. But I’m willing to bet (without having read the Bible, Koran, Bhagwad Gita or any other religious scripture) that there is nothing saying that two men or two women in a relationship or an unwed mother is doomed to hell. [I am willing to be corrected here by people who have read any of these…]

The other aspect of this argument is how does one’s sexuality or marital status affect the way in which one does their job? Do they think that a gay employee is going to encourage other’s to ‘become’ homosexual? Do they think a single mother is going to influence other women to get pregnant? I mean, for fuck’s sake…where is the justification for this form of discrimination (or any for that matter!)

I thought religions were about tolerance and acceptance. Isn’t that one of the things they try to teach? I remember learning that while growing up in Oman amongst Muslims, Hindus, Christians and Sikhs.

So what the church is doing (and other religions too) is not practising this. They are teaching people to not accept and to not tolerate those that are ‘different’. A single mother might not fit the norm of a ‘perfect family’ but she still cares for her children and still provides for them. A homosexual couple may not be an example of a ‘typical family’ but they still love each other. What gives the church the right to not employ individuals that are ‘different’?

It’s a fucking sham.

And then they wonder whey people are losing faith.

• The Survivor
    27 September 2009 at 8:17 am

Reminds me of Oscar Wilde quote

“People fashion their God after their own understanding. They make their God first and worship him afterwards”

This holds true for religious heads too!!

• Legal Alien
    27 September 2009 at 9:24 am

I can totally relate with you Psych. I have EXACTLY the same “faith” right now and it makes me so so so mad when religious zealots etc think they have the right to judge what is right and wrong.
    Religion fascinates me but only because of how much it controls and influences people’s lives but that is precisely why I have no faith in religion either.

On a different note, have you watched Dogma? If not, you should. I think you will love it.

Also, can you please please try to comment now? I think it’s fixed now?

• indianhomemaker
    27 September 2009 at 11:47 am

But I am fascinated by religion in that how it can sometimes be the bane of humankind (my words) with all the discrimination …There are fanatics in all religions that leave me disgusted and make me think that somewhere god is shaking his or her head and wondering what went wrong.

I agree. Because I have read the same kind of people objecting to abortions, so if abortions are not right, and single mothers are also not allowed… ?? On the other hand where is the need to go to any place of worship that is discriminatory. God is everywhere, not just inside these places of worship …such people deserve to be ‘rejected’. They are teaching about intolerance? Well, I say the only thing I am intolerant to is intolerance.

• Richa
    27 September 2009 at 7:56 pm

You are asking Church to be tolerant? Remember Galileo, Copernicus and others like them? The Church then insisted that Earth is flat and the whole world revolves around it.

They have to resist every change. It’s not about the religion or God or any belief what-so-ever. It’s about power and control. You see, any religion is based on the control it has on its masses. If you think about it, concept of God is fairly simple. A super being who look after us or something like that. How much power we assign to that being is our individual choice. So why would we need these religious institute then?

These institute simply sell us the idea that we can achieve salvation (or some counterpart of it) only through them. In return they get power and control on us which in turn gives them power to change the policies and social norms.

Its all about politics…

• DOG3OY
    28 September 2009 at 6:07 am

“But I’m willing to bet (without having read the Bible, Koran, Bhagwad Gita or any other religious scripture) that there is nothing saying that two men or two women in a relationship or an unwed mother is doomed to hell.”

I’m not the lease bit religious, in fact i’m envious of people who have faith. But the comment i’ve grabed from above does beg the question. “if we go to church to save our souls and get closer to god then inviting gay’s, single mums and the diffrent is what its all about” Sure the single mums (and dads) wont find a partner by the hand of got but does this exclude single people too, as they can’t proove that they are not gay or havnt had a partner yet to proove that they are doomed to be a single parent or not…

• rocksea
    28 September 2009 at 9:21 am

I live in italy from where many of the root church-atrocities have originated. There are a lot of churches in this country, that at every step you see them. Italians, however, dont bother at all. Many of the churches are empty or shut down. Doesnt mean all of them are lacking any faith, but just that people have outgrown to look at life with a broader sense than confine themselves with the narrow walls of the church. I guess same will be the case for Victoria. If someone is in dire need for communicating with the so called God, they dont need the walls of the church after all.

• Psych Babbler
    28 September 2009 at 10:46 am

@ The Survivor: Nice quote…and makes so much sense!

@ Legal Alien: I find religion to be commericalised nowadays. And I wish we could just have faith without religion (if that makes sense) I haven’t watched Dogma but will look out for it. I’m guessing it’s a movie? By the way, do you watch Compass on ABC? They have fascinating things at times on how weird religion can be!

@ IHM: You make a valid point…I totally forgot the abortion thing and it’s connection with single mothers! Ridiculous, isn’t it? And yes, I agree with you that we can have faith without having to visit any of these places…

@ Richa: I guess pigs will fly before the Church becomes tolerant, huh? I think what’s scary re religion is when it seeps into politics and laws are made based on religion. I thought that would happen if McCain and Palin got in out there in the US. What worries me is that it might just happen in years to come. I agree with you in that it’s about power and control…through fear that people will go to hell. I mean, on the one hand the church has a new sin of extreme wealth when the Vatican itself is swimming in money!

@ Dog3oy: Welcome! You’ve got a point re the how in the world are they going to ‘prove’ someone’s sexuality! And I’m sure god would want acceptance of everyone…it’s religious organisations that make these stupid ‘rules’ on behalf of god!

@ Rocksea: Oh…I told my Italian friend about this and we’ve had a talk about religion and stuff and that’s pretty much what she told me. She reckons that people outside of Italy are more religious (in terms of Christians) and wonders why. And yep, to have faith, I don’t think we need to go to a church, mosque, temple or any such place. I believe god is everywhere and you can just talk to her or him from your bedroom out loud or in your mind!

• Aditya
    29 September 2009 at 4:52 pm

Every religious head is a hypocritical bas*** because they himself dont follow what they preach and for a reason-what they preach is bullshit and deep inside they know it. 🙂

Well written 🙂 I am with you in this rant 🙂

• Psych Babbler
    30 September 2009 at 12:28 pm

@ Aditya: Welcome! Agree…they are all hypocrites. Hence my current faith does not involve going to any of the institutions. More than happy talking to god in the 4 walls of my house or in my car. 🙂